Thursday, July 21, 2022

Body Work I (and II)

It's been a while, so an update's definitely overdue.  I have been busy with body work!

There really isn't much to really talk about - it's just a slog.  Applying filler and sanding most of it off is certainly not exciting.  But here's what I've done so far.

There's not much more than a skim coat in most areas, with a couple of spots built up (but less than 1/8" max).

I have to change the seal for the boot (trunk).  The seal I have stands too proud of the body and forces the lid upward.  If I remove the seal, the boot lid fits correctly.  The one I need is expensive and a pain to fit.

I also decided I didn't like the way the front driver's wing was turning out.  I would have had to build up too much filler to get the profile correct.  So I replaced it...

I'm pretty happy with the way the repair looked (from the back side), but the metal was just too distorted.

I also took a closer look at the "little bit of rot" I knew was there.  It was more than "a little".  So, it got fixed up too.  It's not perfect - I could have done more - but it's plenty solid and should hold up.

The panel I ordered is made by Steelcraft.  I've read reports that these panels don't fit well, but that was not the case at all.  I spent maybe 10 minutes adjusting the profile to get a good fit.

The panel is supposed to attach to the top half of the wing, but I would have had to remove the whole thing and then it would have been a struggle to get it fit correctly.  So I took the easy way out and cut the top 1/4" off, and welded it into place.  I am very pleased with the result.  "Just a little filler" makes it took like it was always there.

Not bad, not bad at all.  The profile's good and the door gaps all line up.

Now I have to finish the rear deck and the rear valance, and I'll have gotten through the first round.  After that, I go to 120 grit sandpaper and touchups, and then a coat of primer and more touchups, and then it's ready for a final coat and paint!

Read more »