Saturday, July 3, 2021

Brakes Done

I made a quick trip to the Northwest to pick up some parts.

Well, the trip was a vacation… but I stopped by Tom’s Import Toys and picked up my front brake kit. Now that I’m back, they’re ready to be installed.

There’s not a whole lot to do, really. I pulled the hubs off the car (one side at a time). I replaced the wheel bearings because one side was definitely worn. Here’s a handy tip: if you don’t have a press, you can made a drift by grinding down the old outer bearing race enough to slide in without resistance, and use it to install the new race.

After that, it’s as simple as bolting on the new rotor and installing the hub back on the car.

The calipers bolted back in place easily, and new pads and hoses finish off the install.

Bleeding the system from ground zero was interesting. It took a while to pull fluid through the lines (I used a vacuum bleeder).  At one point I was sure I had a blockage. But I did finally get fluid through and then it went fine. I have a reasonably firm pedal and the car stops when I push on it.

So I went for a short drive.

It wasn’t great—something’s making noise in the right rear around corners. I’ll have to investigate. And I’m pretty sure all the tires are out of round, but I know they all have to be replaced. But she does go and stop, and that was my summer goal. I’ll fool with the dash and get the speedo reinstalled, and do a little cleanup to make more things work. Maybe I will work on suspension or steering if I get a cooler day (and buy the parts).  Anyway, whoooo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment