Monday, March 21, 2022

The Home Stretch II

Closer... the dogleg is once again intact.

I made a patch to close up the last hole in the inner sill:

Then I made one for the outer sill.  I tacked it in place so I could verify the dogleg would fit over it.

Then I cut the outer panel to fit and test-fit it.  It took a while to get right so the panel just fit in place without having to be forced.  Bit it did fit, and it fit over the sill as well.

Then, I went back and welded the sill into place.

Finally, I welded the panel into place.  I think it turned out pretty well.

The best part is that the structure is correct (inner and outer sill, and dogleg) and solidly welded.  I'm very happy with this.  And it took me even less time than it did for the passenger's side... experience pays off, I guess.

Now, I just have the sill under the door.  I have a pattern that I made for the sill under the dogleg, which gives me the correct shape.  It will be a lot of welding for that panel.  But then all the major metal work will be complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment